With the number of COVID-19 cases rising ahead of the Fourth of July holiday, Cobb County’s public health director is urging residents to continue taking precautions to help thwart the spread of the virus.

Dr. Janet Memark, district health director for Cobb & Douglas Public Health Department, said the agency has seen a “significant rise” in the number of cases in both counties.

As of Tuesday, Cobb County reported 4,877 COVID-19 cases and 243 deaths, according to the Georgia Department of Public Health's daily status report.

See the AJC’s complete coronavirus coverage

Compared to the end of May, Cobb reported 3,221 cases and 209 deaths, the state health department’s numbers show. The total number of hospitalizations in the county stands at 853.

Dr. Memark wants residents to avoid large, in-person gatherings and non-essential trips, particularly during the upcoming three-day holiday weekend.

Coronavirus in Cobb County: The latest news from the AJC

She also said her previous advice to the public remains the same: wear masks or face coverings, practice social distancing, wash your hands frequently and stay home if you are sick.

“Following these simple actions will help to keep our communities as safe and healthy as possible,” she said.

Like Cobb County News Now on Facebook | Follow on Twitter

About the Author

Keep Reading

Selena Chandler-Scott was arrested last month, accused of “concealing the death of her own miscarried fetus, a human being” and “unlawfully disposing of a dead body, her own miscarried fetus,” according to warrants obtained by the AJC. (AJC File)

Credit: AJC File

Featured

Gov. Brian Kemp enteres the Senate at the Capitol in Atlanta on Sine Die, Friday, April 4, 2025, the final day of the legislative session. (Arvin Temkar / AJC)

Credit: arvin.temkar@ajc.com