Nation & World News

Floyd Mayweather’s ex-girlfriend found dead in her car

The California mother of 3 died Monday
By Stephanie Toone
March 11, 2020

Josie Harris, the former girlfriend of Floyd Mayweather Jr., was found dead at her home Monday night, according to reports.

Harris, 40, was found unresponsive in her parked car at her home in Valencia, California, according to a report by TMZ Sports. Harris has three children with Mayweather, who won a 1996 Olympics bronze medal for featherweight boxing.

Law enforcement sources told TMZ that they were called to Harris’ home about 9:30 p.m. When they arrived, they found her unresponsive in her car.

She was pronounced dead at the scene. There does not appear to be foul play, according to the report. The case is being reviewed as a death investigation.

Harris had a well-documented turbulent relationship with Mayweather. The two reportedly dated from 1995-2010. They have three children together, Koraun, 20, Zion, 18, and Jirah, 15.

Mayweather pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor battery charge stemming from an incident with Harris in 2010, according to a previous Atlanta Journal-Constitution report.

According to the California mom’s Facebook page, she was an entrepreneur, philanthropist, author and actress. She appeared in “Exit 38,” “Starter Wives” and “Starter Wives Confidential.”

In an interview with VLAD TV in 2013, Harris spoke about the abuse she said she endured.

“My son had to run out to get help, and thank God that he made that decision at a really young age,” she said in the interview. “Because who knows how far it could’ve escalated if he didn’t run out and get help?”

Harris and Mayweather had been in the midst of a legal battle for several years, according to court documents obtained by The Blast. She had filed a $20 million lawsuit against the prize fighter, accusing him of defaming her in an interview with Katie Couric. In the interview, Mayweather accused Harris of using drugs and indicated that he restrained her in the midst of a drug-fueled episode.

A Los Angeles judge had set a trial date for Dec. 7, 2020.

Anyone with information about Harris’ death is asked to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Homicide Bureau at (323) 890-5500. Those who wish to remain anonymous can report tips online.

About the Author

Stephanie has been telling stories her whole life. Her interest in the written word started with short stories and journal entries about run-ins with classroom bullies as a child and matured to writing for her high school newspaper over the years. She has written and edited for The Tennessean, Augusta Chronicle and American City & County.

More Stories